Sydney Water Police

Brett Boardman

Sydney Water Police


Government Architect’s Office (NSW)

Design architects (concept design)

Clare Design (Government Architect’s Design Directorate)

Project architect

William Phelps


Jubilee Place, Balmain


NSW Police

Project cost

$7.5 million



Following the asset disposal of their temporary headquarters in Pyrmont, the NSW Police Marine Area Command relocated their operations and administration headquarters to a previously disused waterfront site at Jubilee Place, Balmain.

The new development maintains a working harbour activity, while at the same time maximising opportunities for the provision of public open space with access to the harbour. It also continues the historical association of the site with maritime uses.

The visual character of the new buildings reflects the site’s maritime industrial context and history.

The Marine Area Command Complex accounts for approximately 30% of the site area, while the remaining 70% of the site is dedicated as public open space. Site remediation was carried out as part of the development.